A downed power line could still be energized! To avoid serious injury or even death, stay clear of all downed power lines. Keep others, including your pets, away from the line and do not try to touch, move or repair a downed power line. If you encounter a downed power line, call The Energy Cooperative at 1-888-535-5732.
35° F

Natural gas AND Propane in their original state are odorless; we add an organic compound called Mercaptan before the gas is delivered to your community. The compound has a distinctive smell like rotten eggs to alert you to the presence of natural gas or propane escaping in or around your home.

Natural gas pipelines have a proven record of safety. Sometimes, however, pipeline failure can occur. Hazards associated with a pipeline failure and gas release may include blowing gas, line rupture, fire, explosion or, if gas is present in a confined area, possible asphyxiation.

Damage by outside force, often by someone digging into a pipeline, is the largest single cause of pipeline failures. Incidents may occur due to corrosion, material failure, equipment failure or other causes.

The source of a gas odor could be inside your home from a leak in your house line or appliance connection. It could also be outside from leaks in a service or main line that could come into your home through foundation walls or drain lines.


  1. SMELL: To help you SMELL a leak from a gas line or appliance, a familiar odor like rotten eggs is often added to natural gas and propane gas.
  2. SEE: Near a gas leak, you might SEE blowing dirt, bubbling water or an unusual area of dead vegetation.
  3. HEAR: A leaking pipeline might make a hissing sound you can HEAR.
  4. If you recognize even one of the above signs, walk away, right away.
  5. Don’t try to stop or repair the leak yourself or use anything that might create a spark, such as a cell phone.
  6. Avoid using potential ignition sources, such as telephones, doorbells, electric switches or motor vehicles.
  7. From a safe distance, call 911 and then our emergency number at 1-800-255-6815.